Top Ten Candidate Bloopers
Newsletter volume 2 number 1
A survey asked managers in more than 100 large corporations to describe their most unusual experiences interviewing prospective employees. Here are some of their replies:
- A presumably well-toned applicant challenged the interviewer to an arm wrestle.
- One interviewee wore headphones, explaining that she could listen to the interviewer and the music at the same time.
- After announcing that she hadn't eaten lunch, a candidate proceeded to consume a hamburger and fries.
- A balding applicant excused himself and returned to the office a few minutes later wearing a hairpiece.
- An applicant interrupted the interview to phone her therapist for advice on how to answer specific questions.
Employers were also asked to list the "most unusual" questions they had been asked by job candidates:
- What does this company do anyway?
- I know this is off the subject, but will you marry me?
- Would it be a problem if I'm angry most of the time?
- Does your company have a policy regarding concealed weapons?