Articles & Resources

We provide competency-based behavioral interviewing training for interview teams including hiring managers, recruiters, and interviewers. We have been publishing articles for over 40 years to address the myriad of issues encountered in the process of hiring top talent.

When Does 100-85=32?

INTERVIEW EDGE • APRIL 1991

Answer: When people look carefully at the figures reported in Workforce 2000, the landmark study conducted by the Hudson Institute and Department of Labor.

A widely quoted figure is that 85% of the net growth in the labor force from the years 1985 to 2000 will be women, minorities and immigrants. This leaves only 15% who will be white males.

Or does it? Actually, 32% will be white males, but 17% will replace those who retire or die, leaving a net new addition of 15% white males. In any case, demographics are changing dramatically and concerned employers know the score.